Visibility is one of the most important factors when you are driving. When you have a chipped windshield, it can affect your visibility and pose danger. Neglecting the problem is not a right solution and taking expert help is a practical choice.
Windshield is an important part of your vehicle. Though the vehicle will have no operational difficulties in running, this feature helps you to drive with ease. Glass provides increased clarity but there is a small glitch, it can break on impact. Auto glass is strengthened with various processes and do not break or shatter with ease. Even if there is a crack, then the windshield does not scatter but the plastic lamination holds it together. The glass adheres to every safety rules to avoid injury in cases of impact. They have the right refractive angle to allow clear view through the glass.
Understanding the hazards
The primary use of auto glass is to avoid continuous gust of wind that makes keeping eyelids open a challenge. Cars use glass for this purpose as it provides unmatched clarity when compared to other transparent substances. However, there are many instances when chipped windshield can create a problem. Many drivers neglect it and continue driving with a broken glass in front of them. When you have a cracked surface then these are the things to consider:
- Check the position of the crack. If it falls in the range of vision while you are driving then it is unsafe to move about with the crack. A chip can cause a visual obstruction, and you may unable to see the roads clearly. The area can have a changed refractive index and can result in glares from traffic lights and head lamps of other vehicles.
- When the crack is not in the line of vision, it can still be dangerous. The area is prone to dust. The particles can get in the cracked surface and expand the affected area. Going for an immediate repair is a practical decision.
- Measure the crack immediately. If the diameter is less than twelve inches or a chip is less than a quarter of an inch, then the glass can be repaired by experts. The professionals use a vacuum suction to take the air out and create a vacuum. The chip is restored, and you do not have to restore it. For greater dimensions an immediate replacement of glass is necessary.
- Place a tape on the chip or crack to prevent dirt. Even when you are not driving your vehicle, there is every chance that dust may enter the crack. Do not keep it in the same condition for days and call the experts in a day’s time.
- The repair process involves a resin injection in the vacuum after the air is sucked out of the crack. It covers any gap in the glass. The entire process is over in less than half an hour.
Being on the safe side
When you have a crack in your auto glass, it is unsafe to drive. Neglecting the problem and keeping the car locked up in the garage will only create more complications. Calling the experts for repairing a chipped windshield is the best solution in hand. It retains your vehicle to old condition and ensures that there is no compromise in clarity while you drive your favorite car.